Resume Language Section
Here are the most effective practices for listing language skills for various career levels:
- Students should list the number of years spent studying a language. Membership in language clubs or participation in international programs should also be included.
- Resumes for entry-level jobs should highlight the number of years an applicant studied a language. Practical applications of language skills in previous jobs should also be included.
- Executive resumes should highlight language skills that are relevant to the industry or market the applicant is seeking to work in.
- Manager resumes should highlight ways that an applicant’s language skills have been useful in previous management roles.
- An experienced professional resume should only include language skills if they have been relevant or useful in previous positions.
Resume Languages Examples for Students
- English, First language : Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Spanish, high school level: I took two years of Spanish in high school
Waste and Recycling
- Spanish, Fluent: Being born in El Salvador before I became a Canadian citizen, I was born speaking spanish. I moved to Canada at a young age, however so aside from speaking fluent Spanish I can speak English equally as well.
Waiter and Server
- English, Fluent: Been talking English since I was in grade 5 and been talking English almost every day for the past 3 years
- German, Mother Tongue: Talking German ever since I am born
- French, Beginner: Been taught French in school in grade 8. Skills decreased during the years of not speaking it.
- Romanian, Big-Mother Language: Been thought Romanian throughout bilingual education since toddler age
- American Sign Language, Have been signing for almost 6 years: My major requires that I be fluent in American Sign Language. I have been signing for about 6 years, and have been trained all the way through level 3 of the language. I know the language well enough to carry out a relatively smooth conversation.
Strategy and Planning
- Thai, Mother Tongue: Native User
- English, Fluent: TOEFL IBT score 8.1
- TOEIC score 910
- French, Conversational: TCF B1
- Cavilam certificate B1+
- English, Fluent: English is my native language.
- Portuguese, Fluent: Portuguese was my first language.
- Spanish, Conversational: Spanish was taught to me in a young age but I am not fluent.
- French, Improving: I am currently taking French courses.
- English, Fluent: Able to speak, read and write
- Spanish, Fluent: Able to speak, read and write
- American Sign Language, Basic: Pretty fluent
Restaurant and Food Service
- English, Fluent: My first language.
- Spanish, Limited Working Proficiency : Minimal conversations, know most numbers in price forms. Can greet customers and handle their basic needs. (No schooling for this)
- French, Limited Working Proficiency: Minimal conversations, know a variety of foods and individual words. Can greet customers and handle their basic needs. (2 years of French Class at High School level)
- English, Fluent: Native tongue
- Spanish, 4 years: From 8th grade till 11th grade.
- German, Beginner/ Student: I have a love for languages and communication and I am working to learn many languages so that I may improve customer's experience and expand upon my company's customer diversity.
- Fluent in English, 16 years: First language
- Tagalog, 16 years: Proficient in comprehension and dialect
- Spanish, 9 years: Proficient in only comprehension
- Professor and Lecturer
- Spanish, Intermediate: I have taken six years of Spanish education, counting high school courses.
- Japanese, Beginner: I have taken three college level Japanese courses. In total it counts as three semesters worth and makes me semi conversant.
- English, 17 years: I have been speaking english since I could first talk.
- Spanish, 3 years: I took two years of high school spanish, and one year in college.
Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical
- Tagalog, Fluent: The native language of the Philippines, where I was born and lived for 12 years.
- English, Fluent: - I was already learning English when I entered Kindergarten back in the Philippines.
- T.V. shows, movies and music exposed me to the language as well.
- After migrating to the U.S., it enforced the language even more, which helped me become fluent in English.
- Spanish, Beginner: - Took Spanish for three years during High School; can read and write at an advanced level.
- Minimal Spanish conversation experience; speaking literacy is at beginner level.
- Spanish, Expert: Very fluent in speaking the spanish language.Can also read and write the language professionally. It's also my first language spoken.
- English, Expert: Very fluent in the English language. Can also read and write the language professionally.
Medical Assistance and Support
- Spanish, Fluent: Bilingual: Able to fluently read, write, and speak both Spanish and English at a collegiate level.
- English, Native.
- Arabic, Proficient: -Tested into and graduated out of Arabic 3B at Averroes
- Have taken Arabic courses since Elementary School
- Both parents are native speakers
Resume Languages Examples for Entry Level Candidates
- English/Spanish, fluent: I have ability to read and write in both languages.
- English, Fluent: Conventional classes in Brazil and did intensive classes in 2009 in Vancouver, Canada.
- Spanish, Advanced: Conventional classes in Brazil.
- French, Basic: Autodidact.
- Portuguese, Mother tongue: Fluent, mother tongue.
Animal Care and Service
- English, Fluent: English is my primary language.
- Spanish, Fluent: My family is from Cuba, and so I have been speaking Spanish my whole life.
Animation and Multimedia Design
- English, Expert : Educated in the language and i communicate in English frequently.
- Haitian Creole, Novice : I'm able to communicate in the language as it's my family native tongue.
Attorney and Lawyer
- American Sign Language, Conversational: Able to converse with clients to understand their needs and situation and then convey understanding and explanation.
- Spanish, Intermediate: Able to converse with clients in a basic level, but able to understand a great deal and demonstrate that I understand.
- English, Mastered: Biliterate in both English and Spanish allowing me to speak to a broader range of customers. English would be considered my stronger language of the two.
- Spanish, Mastered: Can fluently speak and read Spanish allowing me to easily interact with customers unable to communicate in English. Have spoken it my whole life with my family.
- Spanish, Very fluent: I am very fluent in spanish and am able to translate very well.
- American Sign Language, Basic: I know the basic American Sign Language.
Data Entry and Word Processing
- Spanish, Developing: I'm taking classes learning Spanish, understand and speak most phrases.
Diet and Nutrition
- Italian, Mother tongue: Native fluency.
- English, Advanced: TOEFL certificate, FIRST certificate (B2) + working and academic experience in english speaking countries.
- Spanish, Fluent: Thanks to one year of work in Miami (communication with clients from South America).
Electrical and Electronic Engineer
- Uyghur, native: Native speaker.
- Chinese, Near native: Very good at Reading, Listening,Speaking and Writing.
- English, Very good: Using English all in classes and life since 2014.9
- Italian, A2: Basic user
- English, Expert: I can speak and write fluent English.
- Spanish, Beginner: Entiendo mucho al escuchar lo que la gente dice pero no lo he hecho todavía competente en hablar y escribir.
Licensed Practical and Vocational Nurse
- English, Fluent: Speak, Write, and Read.
- Spanish, Fluent: Speak, Write, and Read.
Medical Records, Billing and Transcription
- Spanish, Native Speaker: Fluent
- English, Fluent: Studied since kindergarten
- Italian, Fluent: Studied since 2009
- French, Fluent: Studied since 2007
- Japanese, Intermediate: Studied since 2009
- Russian, Intermediate: Studied since 2009
- Portuguese, Intermediate: Studied since 2007
- English, A1: Basic User
- Spanish, B1: Independent User
- Portuguese, C1: Advanced User
- Crioulo, C1: Advanced User
- English, Native: I've spoken English all my life
- Spanish, Know a few words : I know a few phrases, and words. But I could learn more if needed
- Dutch, Mother Tongue: Mother Tongue
- French, Advanced: Second Language
- English, Advanced: Third Language
- Spanish, Basics: Basic Knowledge
Resume Languages Examples for Experienced Profiles
- English, Expert: Fluently speak, read, and write English.
- Spanish, Expert: Fluently speak, read, and write spanish.
- English, Proficient: Read,Write and Speak
- Bengali, Expert: Read,Write & Speak
- Hindi, Proficient: Speak
Assembly and Fabricator
- English, Fluent: Speak fluent English.
- Spanish, Fluent: Speak fluent Spanish.
Attorney and Lawyer
- Spanish, Fluent: Can speak spanish fluently
- English, Fluent: First language that was taught
- English, High: Fluid talk and writing
- Spanish, High: Native language
- English, Fluent: Native English speaker
- Spanish, Intermediate: Capable of carrying out common conversations and certain types of general conversations. Still actively learning.
- Spanish, Mother language: Mother language
- English, Advanced: Advanced
- German, Intermediate: Intermediate
- Spanish, Fluent: I fluently read, write and speak spanish.
- English, Fluent: I fluently read, write and speak english.
College and University
- Spanish, Native: Born and raised in Bogota, Colombia.
- English, Full professional proficiency (ILR scale): Ten years of English studies and five years of cultural submersion in the United States.
- English, Very Well: Very Well spoken, English is my first language
- Spanish, Some of the Language: I know very little spanish,basic communication
Education and Training: English as a Second Language
- Japanese, Intermediate: Have been studying Japanese for 8 years.
- Spanish, Basic: Studied Spanish for 4 years in high school and 1 year in college.
- English, Full professional proficiency: Full professional proficiency
- German, Professional working proficiency: Professional working proficiency
- Italian, Limited working proficiency: Limited working proficiency
- CITAT, 2010: 40 hour container inspections course
- Port State Control School, 2010: 3 Weeks Inspector Course
- Shipyard Competent Person, 2011: 4 day course
- Certified Drill Instructor, 2009: 8 hour course
- Italian, Proficient: Speaking - Very good: Reading - Very good, Writing - Good
- English, Conversational: Speaking - Almost fluent: Reading - Good, Writing - Good
- Romanian, Native language: Mother tongue
Occupational and Physical Therapy
- English, Native speaker: Fluent verbal and written skills
- French, Second language: Conversational verbal skills
- English, Advanced Level: Advanced in reading, writing and speaking.
- Portuguese, Native Speaker: Brazilian Portuguese language
- Spanish, Advanced Level: Advanced in reading, writing and speaking.
Securities and Financial Services
- English, Proficiency: Cambridge Proficiency as language certification
- French, Basic: Basic
- German, Basic: Zertificat
- Greek, Native: Fluent
Singer and Musician
- English, Near native: Bilingual schools ever since Kinder garden
- French, DELF B2: Studies done at the Alliance Francaise
- Italian, B2: Studies done at Universidad de las Américas Puebla
- German, A2: Studies done at Universidad de las América Puebla
Computers and Technology Technical Support
- English, Intermediate: Spoken and Written
- Malay, Advanced: Spoken and Written
- Tamil, Advanced : Spoken
Resume Languages Examples for Manager Profiles
Social Sciences Administration
- English, Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, Arabic, Moderate: Speaking, reading and writing.
Installation and Maintenance: Automotive and Body
- English, High: 100% Read / Write
- Spanish, High: 100% Read / Write
- Portuguese, Fluent: Native language
- English, Fluent: Proficiency at Cultura Inglesa – 2001
- The Oxford Examination in English as a Foreign Language – Higher Level – Oxford
- Certificate in Advanced English: Cambridge
- English, Good: Good in writing, listening and speaking: Used to TOEIC self-test with highest score of over 550. In 2003, ever achieved IELTS 5.5 level.
- French, Normal: Can do simple greeting and conversation: Used to study French while studying in UK.
- Chinese, Good: Good in writing, listening and speaking.
- English, Completely Fluent : My main language is English, i do know enough Spanish to communicate but not bilingual.
Customer Service Management
- English, First Language: Expert in Reading/Writing/Speaking.
- French, Advanced: Advanced in Reading.
- Moderate in Writing/Speaking.
Customer Service Management
- English, Very Good: English language is my second language and in use all the time.
- French language, Beginner: My temporary location is France so I'm using opportunity to learn French language.
- Arabic language, Beginner: As I worked in Arab country I had to learn enough of language to put me through basic verbal conversation.
Electrical and Electronic
- Italian, mother tongue: mother tongue.
- English, fluent: fluent in technical and familiar discussions.
- French, fluent: normally used on travel.
- English, College English: I am fluent in speaking and writing English.
- Spanish, College Spanish: I am fluent in speaking and writing Spanish.
- English, 18: Fluent reading, writing, and speaking this language.
- Spanish, 18: Fluent reading, writing and speaking this language.
- American Sign Language, 11: Able to carry a conversation with those who speak through American Sign Language and translate.
- English, Fluent: Verbal and Written.
- Bahasa Malaysia, Fluent: Verbal and Written.
- Cantonese, Fluent: Verbal only.
- Thai, Beginner: Verbal only.
- German, Beginner: Verbal only.
Loan Officer and Counselor
- Romanian, Native: Speaking, Reading, Writing
- English, Proficient: Speaking, Reading, Writing
- Spanish, Advanced: Speaking, Reading, Writing
- English and Spanish, Fluent to Moderate: Fluent in English Communication
- Moderate in Spanish Communication
Restaurant and Food Service
- German, Mother Tongue: Mother Tongue
- English, Excellent: Bilingual Proficiency
- Spanish, Excellent: Bilingual Proficiency
- French, Good: Professional working proficiency
- English, Fluent: Raised Bilingual
- Spanish, Fluent: Raised Bilingual
Resume Languages Examples for Executive Candidates
Advertising, Marketing and PR
- Spanish, Fluent: Can speak, read, and write in Spanish.
- English, Fluent since 1983: Can speak, read, and write in English.
Automotive and Motor Vehicles
- Bilingual - Spanish / English, Fluent: Able to communicate with coworkers and customers
Chef and Sommelier
- Spanish, Expert: Fluent in conversational, spoken and written word
- English, Expert: Fluent in conversational, spoken and written word
- French, Intermediate: Understand some spoken conversational French and all culinary terms.
Dentist and Oral Surgeon
- Spanish, Fluent: Took five years of Spanish, and passed with high A's. I can write, listen, and speak Spanish!
- English, Advanced : Advanced Level at PHIL YOUNG'S ENGLISH SCHOOL.
- Italian, Advanced: Advanced Level at Circolo Italiano
- Certified by Wizard Idiomas - Regular Italian Course.
- English, Fluent: First Language
- American Sign Language, Proficient: Second Language
- English, speak fluent: Studied in the United States of America
- French, Speak fluent: Studied in France
- Russian, Speak fluent: Studied in Russia
- Swedish, Expert in all areas: I grew up in Sweden
- English, Upper-intermediate: Good reading and writing abilities. Able to support business conversation on a decent level. Keen in developing current language skills.
- German, Intermediate: Able to understand native speakers and support conversation on a good level.
Singer and Musician
- Greek, English, French, Spanish, Masters in Languages at the University of Oxford
- I am a fluent speaker in the following languages: Greek, English, French, and Spanish. In addition to this I have lived in speaking countries of every language stated to further my understanding of the speech.
- The languages also are a tool for me to be used in my compositions for albums in my several rock groups, which provides a variety of types of music available to this company attracting a broader audience to purchase my work.
- French, Extremely proficient: I attained near fluency in French during my time at University and during the year I spent living in France. I was also speaking French in a business context during my employment at Willis where I negotiated in French with underwriters based in France and Belgium.